The Horvath Art Foundation – History, Mission and The Curatorial Board
After several talks with contemporary art experts as Attila Szucs artist, Zsolt Petranyi PhD, previous director of Mucsarnok, Janos Szoboszlai PhD, previous owner and manager of acb Contemporary Art Gallery, Mr Horváth established the Horvath Art Foundation in 2004. The Foundation is a registered non-profit organization in Hungary. The Chairman of the Curatorial board between 2004 and 2012 was Janos Szoboszlai PhD.
The logo of The Horvath Art Foundation is based ont the Body of Nefertiti by Little Warsaw duo exhibited at Venice Biennial in 2003. This artwork is the propriety of the private collection of Mr. Horvath.
The main mission of The Horvath Art Foundation is to establish and develop a significant contemporary art collection. Mr. Horvath and the Horvath Art Foundation is committed to supporting the production of contemporary art and is actively engaged in commissioning new art productions as well as theoretical research and publications.
The Horvath Art Foundation launched three programmes to fulfill this mission.
- In 2005 The Collection Of The Horvath Art Foundation was established.
- In 2005 The Horvath Award For Art Criticism was founded.
The award was given to Ms. Erika Baglyas in 2005, Mr. Jozsef Melyi in 2010 and Mr. Sandor Hornyik in 2011.
- In cases The Horvath Art Foundation supports significant art projects as the Lada Project operated in Berlin by Hajnal Nemeth, the Association of Contemporary Art Galleries in Hungary, and the publication of Mr. David Feher arthistorian on Laszlo Lakner’s lost and found painting. The Hungarian artist Istvan Csakany’s work at dOCUMENTA(13), Kassel, Germany was significantly supported by the Horvath Art Foundation in 2012.
list of the acquired artworks and the shortlist of nominees for the
award is set by the Curatorial Board Of The Horvath Art Foundation.
The Curatorial Board Of The Horvath Art Foundation (2012)
Chairman Of The Board, Horvath Art Foundation
- Zsolt Petrányi PhD, art historian, previous Director of Mucsarnok, Chief Curator of the Contemporary Collection of Hungarian National Gallery, Chair of Art Management Department at International Business School, Budapest
Curators Of The Board, Horvath Art Foundation
- Erika Deak, gallery owner, Erika Deak Gallery, Budapest
- Gabor Einspach, publisher, Artmagazin, Budapest
- Andras Galik, artist, member of the Little Warsaw duo, lives and works in Budapest
- Balint Havas, artist, member of the Little Warsaw duo, lives and works in Budapest
- Dr. Gabor Moricz, economist, Former lead economist of the Hungarian Army, member of the Supervisory Board of Concorde Értékpapír Rt., owner of KAPTÁR Investment Zrt. (one of the founders of the CIG Company)
- Attila Szucs, artist, lives and works in Budapest
- Agnes von Uray, artist, lives and works in Budapest